Tuesday, July 1, 2008

TWD: Apple Cheddar Scones

This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe was Apple Cheddar Scones, chosen by Karina of The Floured Apron. Thanks, Karina, these scones were fantastic... so light and fluffy. The cheddar wasn't obvious and added a nice rich buttery flavor.

I'm going to let the pictures tell the story tonight (hey, it's 11:35 PM on Monday! I needed an 8-day week this week, lol).

The ingredients, minus the buttermilk and apple juice...



Mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another...



Add the chilled butter...



Coat the butter with the flour mixture and then cut in. I used a pastry blender...



Adding the wet ingredients...



Stir, gently...



In go the dried apples and cheddar. I doubled the amount of apple as I was hoping for more of a sweet flavor than savory...



All mixed in, then kneaded. I opted for the spatula "kneading" as I wasn't up to nasty hands today...



I spooned the sticky mass onto a well floured cutting board...



... and kind of squished them into place with my spatula (again, no nasty hands)...



Cut them into 8 pieces THEN read the directions where it said to cut them into 12. (No A+ for me this week, lol)...



OK, tell me if this has happened to you. You're just about to take your perfectly-browned-on-top baked good out of the oven when the doorbell rings. You go to the door and immediately forget what you were doing and proceed to chat away with your visitor for too long.

Yeah, me neither, that's never happened to me (cough, sputter)...


One observation... it appears that the way they look going into the oven is pretty much the way they look coming out. I notice Dorie's are nice and smooth and mine are more... well, rustic. If I do these again, I'll try to smooth them out a bit, maybe pretty them up a tad.

I have no "magazine shot" with the matching china, linens, cup of hot steaming coffee, etc. this week. (See "need for 8-day week" mentioned above.) I'll bet many of the other TWD-ers have, though, so please be sure to stop by Tuesday's with Dorie and check them out.

By the way, next week's recipe is... (drum roll please)... blueberry pie.

See you then and thanks for stopping by!

No comments: