Monday, July 21, 2008

TWD: Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler


I owe a serious “Thank You” too all of the hosts at Tuesdays with Dorie who have chosen fruit desserts from Dorie Greenspan’s book “Baking: From my Home to Yours”. When I thumb through a baking book, I’m drawn like a magnet to the cookie and chocolate recipes. But no more. My eyes have been opened to the wonder of fruit desserts.

This week’s TWD recipe was Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler, chosen by Amanda from “Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake”. Just so you know, rhubarb pie is my all time favorite… grandma’s rhubarb pie anyway. So, I was looking forward to this week’s recipe.

By the way, I found out that my cheap-o cherry pitter works pretty slick!


The cobbler didn’t disappoint… I really enjoyed it. I was afraid the ginger would overpower, but it proved to be a very nice addition. It was just right.

I made a few small adjustments. I added a pinch of cinnamon to the filling. Also, I didn’t roll the topping into golf-ball sized balls, or any size balls for that matter. Rather, I patted it out, cut the topping into chunks and dropped them on top by spoon (I can’t wait to see what the direction-followers’ cobblers look like… undoubtedly prettier than mine.)


I also didn’t peel the rhubarb… I didn’t want to lose the ruby-redness of the rhubarb (and I’m lazy).

About 35 minutes into baking, the top seemed brown enough, but the filling hadn’t bubbled up onto the top yet, so I laid a piece of foil over top and baked another 10 minutes. It was just right… I had some bubbling up onto the top, the topping was a nice golden brown, and the rhubarb was soft and tender.


I was bummed I didn't get any shots of the plated cobbler. I took it to a cookout and didn't want to look like a goob taking a million pictures of dessert, lol.

Thanks Amanda! I loved it!

Up next? Summer Fruit Galette.

No comments: