Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TWD: Summer Fruit Galette


In case you’re new to the baking blog world and you keep stumbling across Tuesdays with Dorie posts, wondering what's up... here's the deal. A whole mess of us crazy bakers “get together” once a week and bake the same recipe from Dorie Greenspan’s book “Baking: From my Home to Yours”. We all post on Tuesdays, hence the name. I've had a blast seeing how everyone else’s turned out, and what problems, successes and lessons learned they had. It’s been a FANTASTIC baking experience and I learn something new each and every week. I’ve also overcome both of my big baking fears… those dreaded yeast baked goods, and pie dough.

Speaking of pie dough, this week’s recipe was Summer Fruit Galette, chosen by Michelle from Michelle in Colorado Springs.

I had a baseball-sized ball of dough in the freezer from a previous TWD recipe, so I used that. I didn’t follow the recipe for a full-sized galette. Rather, I used fruit I had on hand and kept adding until it seemed like enough.

After rolling out the dough to about a 10-inch circle, I spread on some Clearbrook Farms Peach Butter.


For my fruit, I used… one very ripe peach, half of a small container of raspberries, and a handful of frozen blueberries (hence, the frosty appearance in the “before” shots). I didn't have any graham crackers, so I used breadcrumbs between the jam and fruit.


I folded up the sides, trying to make the pleats nice and neat. Next time, I'll try to make the pleats stand up a bit more so they hold the custard (you'll see why in a minute).


I stuck the galette in the freezer before baking. The one time I made a galette previously I didn't freeze beforehand and my pleats came undone and filling ran all over. So anyway, after baking, this is what it looked like. Aren't the blueberries fantastic?


I poured custard over the top, and promptly watched it run over the sides (boo!).


After baking a second time, I was met with this nastiness. Ewwwww!


I was able to cut away the charcoal mess, but there was a black ring around the bottom edge of half the galette. (Lesson learned! - make the sides stand up a bit more. And go easy on the custard.)


It was just the right amount of fruit. And I loved the combination… the blueberry and raspberry flavors melded to the quintissential “berry” flavor, while the peaches were different enough that they stood out when eaten. Kind of a little flavor surprise in your mouth.

I was pleased (again) with how flaky this crust is. Amazing, considering I used the wadded-up-and-thrown-in-the-freezer scraps from the Blueberry Pie recipe.


A hearty Thank You to Michelle for chosing this recipe. I seriously loved it and am happy for my waistline that I made a small galette.


Up next week? Black and White Banana Loaf... hmmm, sounds intersting!

No comments: